As temperatures begin to rise, water conservation becomes especially crucial. What can residents of Big Oaks do? Learn about and practice methods to help save water.
According to TakeCareOfTexas.org, some excellent tips for conserving water are:
- Water lawns efficiently
- Install water efficient showerheads, toilets, faucets, and faucet aerators
- Fix household leaks
- Use a basin of soapy water to hand- wash dishes instead of letting the faucet run
- Invest in an ENERGY STAR-qualified dishwasher
- Turn off the tap when brushing teeth
- Invest in an ENERGY STAR-qualified clothes washer
- Install a smart sprinkler irrigation controller
Proper maintenance of household plumbing equipment can help reduce the overuse of water and aid in lowering water bills. Regularly check hose bibs and faucets for leaks and repair as needed. Ensure that toilet flapper valves are in working order and toilets are not consistently running water. If a toilet is running, the flapper valve may need to be replaced. If a water leak in the home is suspected, turn off all water faucets and spigots, and observe the water meter. If the meter is running, there may be a leak in need of repair.